Friday, August 3, 2012

Why We Charge What We Do


Why the heck do Photographers Charge so Dang Much????
I have so many times heard people say:
 "Oh my gosh, the cost of a profession photographer is so expensive."
 " Why does it cost so much, its just picture."
 " Why should I pay that much money when i can go to sears?"


I hope to be able to answer these questions below!


Prior to the shoot
  I take the initial call or email for the client to find out what they are looking for out of a session. After a series of calls or emails we will get you date and location set for the session. If we are shooting on location I then head out to the location during the session time( even if this means interrupting family time ) to check it out.If it is in my studio then the day of I still have to get all my lighting set, props ready and clean the studio. Once I have seen the location I will get back with the client to make sure that I have the same ideas as they do for the session. In the mean time, I am putting together a welcome packet and client files. Also purchasing or making new props for the session. One more email or call the day before the shoot just to make sure there are no last minute ideas from the client and we have all the details hammered out.


The shoot

I always try to arrive at least 15 minutes early for an on location session. For a session in my studio it takes me at least an hour to set u for a session. A session can last up to 3 hours for a regular session. It is my job to keep you relaxed and having fun so you have the best possible images! I have to have an insured vehicle to be able to get to and from these sessions so there is extra costs. We also put a lot of money into chairs and props for our beautiful clients to use.


Post work
As soon as the session is over, I pack up my equipment and drive home or break down my studio. Then head straight to my computer to download and back up you images. Next step is weeding through the images and decided which ones to keep and edit and which ones to throw out. I'm sure you see our finger clicking away to ensure you don't blink or fart =D There is a lot of time involved in editing as well, i generally spend up to 8 hours editing per session. Once the images are all processed and ready for the client they have to get uploaded and saved. time to get in touch with the client to see their pictures. YAY!!!! Now that the [pictures have been viewed the selected imaged need ordered. Once i get the pictures back from print I review them to make sure they are perfect then wrap them up all pretty just for you!
There are quite a few extra things that we as photographer HAVE TO HAVE!
The list starts with my camera body and lens'( I have 4 and rent others regularly), flash and studio lights, batteries for my camera and flash, CF cards computer, software and props. And this is just few of the essentials.

These are the things we have to do even if we don’t have a shoot.
Monthly Operating costs: cell phone, advertising, Office supplies, electricity , insurance for car, business ans equipment , licensing , trade magazines. And don't forget about he sitter!

As photographers we get no sick days, no paid time off, no vacation pay, and no holiday pay!!!
Plus 30% goes straight to taxes.

Whew, that is a ton of stuff. SO lets add it up... On average the hours I put into a regular session is 14, HOLY COW!! OK my regular session costs $125 to the client and $50 of that the client gets to spend, so that is $125 divided by 14 hours = $8.93.....
Holy Moly ! I haven't even figured my operation expenses, taxes or equipment costs in yet. Oh yes don't forget about the sitter I have to pay.
Now with all that being said I LOVE MY JOB!!!!! I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world! I look forward to shooting more people each and every day!



Why should you hire a professional instead of a chain?

SAY CHEESE!!! You are right, you can pay less by going to a cookie cutter place! The posed images are all the same and inside. Have you ever been able to look at a picture and tell which studio they went to because you have the same picture in your house, just a different kid... IMO those places push you out as fast as they can. If your kids screams the whole time will they keep working with you, or let you take a break? Nope because they need to hurry up and get you out so they can get the next one in. Just a few of my personal reason...

Please contact me to book your session!
Check out my website

No comments:

Post a Comment